The 8th Grade Math curriculum utilizes an integrated approach to math which focuses on seven modules aligned to the Pennsylvania state standards; Number system and properties of exponents, Congruence, Similarity, Linear Equations, Functions from Geometry, Linear Functions, Irrational Numbers using Geometry. Following this design, the course will prepare students to achieve success as well as develop skills for the next level of mathematics in Algebra I. Throughout the year, students will develop proficiency in problem solving strategies and acquire an understanding as to how mathematics applies to everyday life. Content includes variables, expressions, integers, equations, multi-step equations, inequalities, fractions, exponents, rational numbers and equations, ratio, proportion, probability, percents, linear functions, real numbers, measurement, area, volume and surface area, data analysis, and angle relationships and transformations.
Topics covered in Math 8:
- The number system, properties of exponents, and real numbers
- Congruence, triangles, and the Pythagorean Theorem
- Similarity and transformations
- Linear Equations, equations in one and two variables
- Functions from geometry, volume and surface area
- Linear functions, scatter plots and data analysis
- Irrational and real numbers using Geometry
Upon completion of this course students will be prepared for Algebra 1.
McGraw-Hill: Math Course 3