Are you ready? That’s right, the 2018-2019 school year is one week away, and we are so excited!
Our students and teachers are returning from summer refreshed and ready to take on another wonderful, academically challenging, and rewarding school year.
All students, new and returning, will be completing a two-day “onboarding” course beginning the first day, Tuesday, September 4th. Once the course is completed, students will then gain access to their academic courses. Our teachers have been hard at work building the best lessons for you! You can look forward to great things to learn from your friendly, helpful teachers!
As we get closer to the first day of school, it is important to take the necessary steps to be prepared. In order to do this, we have put together a “Start of School Checklist.” The complete list for students and parents is on PALCSchool, but here are the major points:
- Establish a school work space in your home: If you haven’t done so already, clean out your school space from last year, discard any unnecessary papers or items that will be a distraction, and organize all of your supplies.
- Ensure your home internet is working: Here at PALCS, we recommend all families have a high speed internet connection which PALCS will reimburse.
- Set up your student’s school computer equipment: Be sure to set up the student laptop and connect it to your home internet. Set up your 3-in-1 printer/scanner/copier and insert the ink cartridge. Connect the printer to the laptop with the provided USB cord. Make sure to also conduct a test scan! Don’t forget to unbox and plug in your headset into the laptop to use for virtual lessons.
- Read our notice regarding computer updates: Be sure to read the computer updates notice on PALCSchool. The link is available in the checklist on PALCSchool Lobby.
- Log into PALCSchool: Before the first day of school, visit www.palcschool.org, enter your username and password, and click the Login button. Make sure you know your password and that it is working! We have updated the look of PALCSchool this year, so the login screen and Lobby have a new, polished appearance.
- Explore our PALCSchool Lobby: Our PALCSchool Lobby is jam-packed with useful information for both students and parents. Take some time to explore all of the announcements, links, upcoming events and calendars. Returning families, explore the fresh new look of PALCSchool 2.0!
- Explore PALCSchool Resources: The Resources page has critical school information, frequently asked questions, school forms, and specific resources for parents and students.
- Update your family’s contact information: As a PALCS parent, log into PALCSchool and update any information that may have changed. The link is available in the checklist on the PALCSchool Lobby.
- Join a Zoom test room: Do this to ensure the school laptop is configured properly and can access online class sessions. The link is available in the checklist on PALCSchool Lobby.
- Check your email regularly: Students have two message accounts: Canvas Messaging and Gmail. Both are used for communication with teachers. Students should be checking both every day.
- Be on the lookout for delivery of books & course materials: Books and supplies are shipped out to students in the month of August. We use both the US Postal Service and FedEx. More important notes on deliveries are available in the checklist on PALCSchool Lobby.
- Be Prepared for Onboarding: The first two days of school students will work to complete Onboarding 2018-2019. Learn more on PALCSchool.
Above all else, we want you to have the best possible school year, filled with challenging learning, valuable friendships, and positive experiences! We are so excited and honored to have each and every one of you join us for another wonderful school year. We are always here to support you! Let’s join together and discover how #PALCSMakesItPossible!