ESL Services and Communication
ESL Support Services
Support Services to those students who qualify for ESL include:
- Weekly contact with student and home facilitator.
- ESL teachers as a liaison between the student and content area teachers.
- Office hours to ask for help.
- Scheduled and impromptu live chats for one-on-one and small group instruction.
- Live, in-person, individual and small group tutoring sessions at local libraries.
- Assistance with ALL subjects, not just language arts
- After-hours phone support
- Summer individual and group programs/lessons
Communication with Parents
PALCS makes every effort to communicate with the parents of ELLs in their preferred home language. Spanish and Russian/Ukrainian is the native language of the majority of our ELLs. TransAct and Iverson translation services are currently in use for translating written correspondence. AT&T Language Line provides on-demand over the phone interpreting services. The enrollment packet, NCLB notification letters, ESL program documents, student/parent orientation documents and other important documents have been translated into Spanish and are used when appropriate. Several bilingual staff members serve as interpreters for meetings and phone calls.
Training in all aspects of the ESL program and working with ELLs and families are provided for during the year for all faculty and staff. Either our ESL teachers or our IU representatives will lead the training.