The Pennsylvania Leadership Charter School (PALCS) began its first school year on September 13, 2004. The 2013-2014 school year marks our tenth year of operation!
The Pennsylvania Department of Education established Legislation for Charter Schools in 1997. It was on October 1, 2002 that Dr. James Hanak submitted the charter for the PA Leadership Charter School, adhering to the new law geared specifically toward cyber charter schools.
After a lengthy application and approval process, the PA Leadership Charter School was granted a charter on January 23, 2004. The staff spent the next eight months organizing the school office in Frazer, PA, determining the logistics of acquiring, shipping and utilizing computers and materials, and preparing to begin a new school. On September 13, 2004, PALCS opened its (digital) doors to 253 students.
Initially utilizing a course management system provided by Digital Schooling, PA Leadership welcomed 458 new students to the school during the first year, closing the inaugural year with 711 students and congratulating its first graduating class.
On July 14, 2005, PALCS opened its Western Regional Office at the Pittsburgh Mills, helping put the face of PALCS in Western Pennsylvania. Over winter break 2005, the main Frazer office relocated to West Chester, enabling tremendous growth of faculty and staff to meet the growing number of students (1427 students by June 2006 – double the number from the same time the previous year).
Also in the 2005-2006 school year, PALCS introduced the University Scholars program (opened September 6, 2005) and the Performing and Fine Arts program (opened November 2, 2005). Both programs use a “blended” approach, where students can attend classes both live and through the Internet.
The 2006-2007 school year brought an additional 446 students, bringing the total to 1873 at the end of the third school year. In addition, a second office was leased in December 2006 in the western side of the state on Hite Road in Harmarville (north of Pittsburgh) due to the growth of Western Regional Office staff.
Early in the 2007 school year, the administration made the decision to change to Moodle as the school’s main course management platform. The change allowed for greater customization of the site, such that the school’s platform is now owned by PA Leadership. At the end of the 2007-2008 school year 1950 students were enrolled
The PALCS graduating class of 2009 consisted of 360 students – one hundred more students than the entire K-12 student body when the school opened. In the summer of 2009, the western region grew again, condensing its two smaller offices into one large Western Regional Center for all western faculty and staff at The Landings.
PA Leadership was proud to make Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) in the 2009-2010 school year. AYP is the designation used by the state of Pennsylvania in determining student proficiency in reading, writing and math, as a result of standardized testing.
In January 2011, PA Leadership opened a new building in West Chester, the Advanced Ideas Center (AIC). Due to the growth of our student body, and thus our faculty, the University Scholars program is now housed in the AIC, as are our elementary and middle school cyber teachers.
We began the 2011-2012 school year with nearly 2200 students; on October 18, 2011, we reached over 2300 students enrolled – a new milestone, at the time.
We’ve continued our consistent growth, reaching 2400 students on September 12, 2012. The 2012-2013 school year introduced the on-site School of Professional Studies program in the Pittsburgh office, also available virtually to all PALCS high school students.
Now in the 2013-2014 school year, there are over 2500 students enrolled in the school, and we are continuing to grow our Brick and Click Centers.
It is exciting to see how we’ve grown, and we hope to include your family in the exciting development of the Pennsylvania Leadership Charter School!