Kindergarten students will engage in a fun, hands-on thematic curriculum to explore concepts in math, science, social studies, writing, reading, and movement in one complete, integrated course.
Kindergarten follows the PA Core Standards for Kindergarten and incorporates different types of assessments that are aligned to these standards. Some examples of assessments include Dibels NEXT, Individual Reading Inventory, and Individual Sight Word Assessment.
Kindergarten students also engage in performance-based student projects that are aligned to the standards. Some projects that the students will be asked to create include Animal Habitats, Historical Research Project, and Flat Stanley Around the World.
Kindergarten utilizes the following curriculum resources to enhance the academic rigor of the course content: McGraw-Hill My Math, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Journeys – Common Core, Pearson myWorld Social Studies, DiscoveryEd Science, and numerous online programs. Some online program examples include iRead, Reading A-Z, Storia, and BrainPop Jr.
In Kindergarten, students will:
- Explore a variety of nonfiction and fiction literature including news articles, biographies, poems, narratives, plays, and fantasies.
- Develop phonics skills such as upper and lowercase letter recognition, word blending, and strategies for decoding.
- Develop age-appropriate writing skills.
- Use leveled readers to develop skills.
- Explore concepts in mathematics such as comparing numbers, identifying patterns, sorting and classifying objects, measuring, counting, adding, and subtracting.
- Participate in hands-on, interactive activities.
- Explore plants, animals, weather, senses, matter, and movement.
- Strengthen social skills.
- Engage in activities to develop the ability to manage conflict, reason, accept responsibility, and be good citizens.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt: Journeys Grade K Reader’s Notebook Set
Glencoe/McGraw-Hill: My Math Grade K
Pearson: Here We Are
Discovery Education: Science Techbook
Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain, Verna Aardema
A House for Hermit Crab, Eric Carle
A House is a House for Me, Mary Ann Hoberman
Gregory, the Terrible Eater, Mitchell Sharmat
Grade K Math Kit
Grade K Science Kit & Journal